Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday. It has begun.


For those of you brave enough to wake up early and join the Holiday Shopping Frenzy, I salute you. For me, I get a bit claustraphobic in large crowds, so I'll mostly likely be stealth shopping online. I think this year, I'm going to opt for sensible gifts for family and friends. I am one of those people who prefers the giving to receiving-I give a lot of thought to gift giving. If you are like me, and you're a part of a family with all adults, and virtually no small children,trying to find a gift for loved ones who don't really have any wants or needs can be a bit daunting. Sure, I have newborn twin nephews, but they don't seem to really care that it's Christmas, they are just discovering where their noses are, so we have a year before spoiling them rotten with toys at Christmas!

I'm terrified to even venture out on Black Friday, so i'll probably work some, and maybe sneak off to the local park for a run. But I avoid the malls and shopping on this most Crowded of Days. The traffic, the crowds, the cold, the overall mayhem make me a tad dizzy, and often leave me nauseated and chugging the kaopectate. I tend to shop online mostly, and my heart goes out to all those frenzied warehouse workers trying to fulfill the overnight holiday packaging-so this year, I'm not going to go that route either. So what am I left with?

Solution oriented gifts. I know, I know, it sounds really exciting, mysterious and festive. I like the idea of getting my family non-retail related services and things they actually need throughout the year, and in life in general. Arranging for landscaping for the spring, or a home security system, or putting all the old home Movies on a DVD. Organizing an Heirloom photo book from all the old family pictures and getting it custom bound from a place like Good Stock. Gift Certificates for a Spa Day for New Parents who are only thinking about their children, or planning a weekend getaway and arranging to babysit. Things I know they would appreciate and use, but would never think to do for themselves, or ask of others. And it will be a complete surprise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won't go anywhere near a store unless it is an emergency.